Corn Wheels with Lemon Pepper Butter
These jazzed up corn wheels make a great addition to your BBQ. Flavoursome and easy, you can prepare the bulk of the recipe ahead of time and cook it on the BBQ as you are doing the BBQ Potatoes with Herb Rub and Pineapple Beef Kebabs. This recipe will make more butter than you will need, so simply freeze it for another day. This butter also works well on barbecued fish or scallops. This recipe includes a method for making your own butter, but for a faster option you can use 200g of premade or store-bought butter.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These taste great fresh off the BBQ! The buttery taste is like no other!" - Rach
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Can be frozen
- corn - 4 large ears, each cut into six wheels
- fresh parsley - 1/4, bunch, chopped
- Lemon pepper butter:
- cream - 600ml, pure
- water - 1L, very cold
- lemon - 3, peel, strips
- pepper - 2 tsp, cracked
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- butter - 200g, in lieu of cream and water, optional
Lemon pepper butter:
- Place pure cream (600ml) into bowl. Insert the whisk attachment. Whip on Speed 4 until buttermilk separates from the cream / butter. This takes close to 5 minutes, but it can happen as quickly as 1:30 minutes so watch it carefully. You will hear the change. Each batch will vary slightly depending on the fat content, temperature and brand of cream.
- Place the buttermilk and butter into your internal steaming basket and drain buttermilk out into a separate jug or bowl. This is great to use in any baking recipe. It can be frozen for later use.
- Place butter back into the mixer bowl. Add very cold water (500g only). Mix Speed 4 / 4 seconds.
- Drain the buttermilk again through the internal steaming basket.
- Place butter back into the mixer bowl. Add very cold water (500g). Mix Speed 4 / 4 seconds.
- Drain the buttermilk again through the internal steaming basket. The reason we rinse twice is to preserve the butter. The better rinsed it is, the longer it will last.
- Place butter into a clean muslin cloth or similar and squeeze out any retained buttermilk.
- Clean and wash the mixer bowl.
- Place lemon peel (3 strips), pepper (2 tsp) and salt (1 tsp) into the bowl. Chop Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Add the butter to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 6 seconds.
- Place 6 corn wheels (from 1 ear) into aluminium foil with a little butter and wrap to secure. Repeat for all corn wheels (from 4 ears total).
- Place on a hot BBQ and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove corn wheels from aluminium foil and place on the BBQ grill to char slightly.
- Add corn wheels to a large bowl. Add your butter (2 Tbsp) to the bowl along with chopped parsley (1/4 bunch). Mix to combine.