If you want to serve coloured popcorn (it looks fun, right!?), but don't want the nasties that accompany store-bought coloured popcorn, this recipe is for you. We have used natural food colourings and basic ingredients for the same fun-looking end result.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This was a super fun and tasty treat! Perfect for kids parties." - Summah
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Makes a large batch perfect for parties
Cannot be frozen
- popcorn - 4 cups, roughly 1/2 cup corn kernels
- honey - 50g
- coconut oil - 50g
- food colouring - of choice, we use Hoppers Natural Colours
- Cook popcorn if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 50C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place honey (50g) and coconut oil (50g). Program 4 minutes / 90C / Speed 2.
- Place popcorn into 4 zip lock bags (1 cup each). Add three drops of food colour to each bag. Pour in the honey syrup. Seal bag and shake, shake, shake!
- Pour popcorn out on to the baking tray and spread it out into an evenly spaced layer.
- Place into the oven and allow to dry out. This can take between 15-30 minutes. Be sure not to burn it though! Allow to cool completely in the oven before breaking it up and placing it into a serving bowl. It may be slightly sticky once done, and that's ok.