Coconut Lentil Dahl
A scrumptious vegetarian meal that will impress! Team this up with some deliciously warm naan bread for a delicious entree or main meal. This great dish has been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Thanks for another yummy recipe. I am a big fan of dahl and will be making it again." - Tracey
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
- garlic cloves - 5, peeled
- onion - 2, peeled and halved
- ginger - 4cm piece of fresh, peeled
- olive oil - 30g, extra virgin
- salt flakes - 1 tsp, pink, or to taste
- peas - 200g, dried, yellow, split, rinsed
- turmeric - 4 Tbsp
- vegetable stock - 500g, liquid, or chicken or beef stock as preferred
- coconut milk - 400g tin
- lemon juice - to taste
- fresh coriander - to taste
- Serving options:
- naan - can use GF
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (5), halved onions (2), peeled ginger (4cm), extra virgin olive oil (30g) and pink salt flakes (1 tsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Add rinsed split peas (200g), turmeric (4 Tbsp) and liquid stock (500g) to the bowl. Program 30 minutes / 100C / Speed 1. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters.
- Add the coconut milk (400g tin) to the bowl. Program 15 minutes / 90C / Speed 1. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters.
- Stir through the lemon juice and garnish with fresh coriander before serving.
• It will go quite solid if left for any length of time, so you can simply add more stock, lemon juice, coconut milk, etc. to loosen the texture.
• Serve the next day warmed through with any accompaniments as mentioned above.
Make your own!
*Make your own naan bread with the Naan Bread or Gluten Free Naan recipes from The Celebrations Issue or the Garlic Cheese Naan recipe from The Fake Out Issue.