Laddu are ball-shaped sweets that are popular in India. This recipe comes from one of the teachers at Peta's sons' school. She makes these every year for Holi Day. You can add chopped dried apricots and dates to these if desired. We have left them plain. This recipe makes a lot of balls so you may want to halve the ingredients.
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes + setting time
Makes 80 small balls
Can be frozen
- desiccated coconut - 500g
- coconut - 50g, extra, for rolling
- Condensed milk:
- caster sugar - 90g
- milk - 140g, full, powder
- butter - 50g, unsalted
- coconut oil - 1 Tbsp
- water - 90g, warm
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- Place sugar (90g), 140g (milk powder), butter (100g), coconut oil (1 Tbsp) and water (90g) into bowl.
- Program 9 minutes / 90C / Speed 4.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Add desiccated coconut (500g).
- Speed 7 / 6 -10 seconds until combined. You may need to use your spatula to help combine the mixture.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Roll into balls and roll into extra desiccated coconut (50g) to coat.
- Store in the refrigerator or freeze.
Note: You can use one 375g tin of store bought sweetened condensed milk if you prefer.