Chunky Tomato Salsa
This perfect beginning to your BBQ fiesta has been shared with us by Tenina. It adds an almost instant flavor hit to most things savoury. You can add it to any Mexican cuisine, tomato based sauce, or just pair it with corn chips to get your BBQ started, and you have a healthy snack sorted in seconds!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I made this to take to a catch up with some girl friends - it was well received! Since then we have also used it on top of some nachos and the kids loved it too." - Penny
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 60 minutes
Makes approx. 3 x 300g jars of salsa
Cannot be frozen but will keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks
- chilli - 1, red, or more for a hotter salsa
- tomatoes - 600g, whole roma (approx.) - no half tomatoes, whole only!
- water - 1L, for steaming
- onion - 80-100g, red
- garlic clove - 1
- fresh coriander - 1, handful, leaves and stalks
- raw sugar - 1 Tbsp
- sea salt - pinch
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- tomato paste - 130g
- white wine vinegar - 50g
- lime - 1, juice only
- corn chips - to serve
- To flame grill your chilli, place whole chilli on an open gas flame and turn it a few times until it is charred and the flesh is soft. This will not take ages, but nor will it take seconds. When you are happy that it is well charred, place into a glass bowl, cover the bowl with clingfilm and allow the chilli to sweat. Rub the blackened skin off prior to using in the recipe. This will add a lot of flavour to the salsa.
- Score the base of each tomato (600g) with a cross. Place tomatoes into the steaming attachment lower dish. Pour water (1L) into bowl and steam tomatoes. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Cool tomatoes by plunging them into iced water. Peel. Drain and dry bowl.
- Place onion (80-100g), garlic (1), coriander (handful) and chilli (1) into the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add peeled tomatoes, sugar (1 Tbsp), sea salt (pinch), cumin (1 tsp), tomato paste (130g), white wine vinegar (50g) and the lime juice (1) into the bowl and program 60 minutes / 80C / Speed 2. Cool completely.
- Serve as a dip with corn chips or chopped vegetables.