Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup
When the weather is cold and you need to feed a crowd, this soup will hit the spot! Add some freshly baked bread and turn a humble bowl of soup into a warming and hearty meal. Any leftovers can be packed away for a comforting winter lunch.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Very happy with the look and taste!" - Annette
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
steaming attachment lower dish
large serving bowl
- fresh parsley - chopped, to garnish
- bread - large loaf, crusty, sourdough*, to serve (*can omit or use GF)
- onion - 2, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 5, peeled
- oil - 20g
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, whole
- dried thyme - 2 tsp, leaves
- dried oregano - 2 tsp
- dried parsley - 2 tsp
- beef stock - 70g, paste, or vegetable stock paste (or 1L liquid stock if preferred)
- water - 930g
- carrot - 160g, diced small
- potato - 500g, peeled and diced small
- celery - 3 stalks, sliced
- green beans - 200g, top and tailed and cut into thirds
- zucchini - 200g, diced
- peas - 100g, frozen
- cannellini beans - 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- Add the quartered onions (2) and peeled garlic cloves (5) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 110C* /Speed 2.
- Add the whole tomatoes (800g tin), dried thyme leaves (2 tsp), dried oregano (2 tsp), dried parsley (2 tsp), stock paste (70g) and water (930g) to the bowl, ensuring you do not go over the maximum fill line.
- Add the diced carrots (160g) and diced potato (500g) to the steaming attachment lower dish. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Remove the steaming attachment. Tip the cooked carrots and potatoes into a large serving bowl.
- Add the sliced celery stalks (3), prepared green beans (200g), diced zucchini (200g), frozen peas (100g) and rinsed cannellini beans (400g tin) to the steaming attachment. Set the steaming attachment in place again. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Move all the steamed vegetables into a large serving bowl. Pour the soup over the top. Mix to combine, then allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls garnished with chopped parsley along with crusty sourdough bread.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Make your own!
* Make your own sourdough bread with the Cheat's Sourdough Bread recipe from The Breakfast Issue.
* Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.