"This is a traditional treat in our house every year. Fragrant and delicious, it just screams Christmas to me. It also makes a beautiful gift from your kitchen when wrapped in a festive linen tea towel. Brilliant when used for French toast as well." - Tenina
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A very nice festive recipe. Looked complicated with lots of steps and ingredients but was really quite easy to make! The pistachio in the marzipan was a great idea as it helped to cut through the sweetness, and looked very festive. " - Christina
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 1 hour
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Makes 2 loaves
Can be frozen
- lemon - 1, zest only
- orange - 1, zest only
- sugar - 100g
- butter - 150g
- egg yolk - 1
- milk - 300g
- yeast - 30g, fresh (or 2 tsp dried)
- bakers flour - 540g
- fruit of choice - 150g, dried or glazed (e.g. sultanas, raisins, currants, cherries)
- almonds - 70g, slivered
- salt flakes - pinch, pink
- Pistachio Marzipan - 1 batch
- butter - melted, as needed
- icing sugar - as needed
- Pistachio marzipan:
- caster sugar - 250g, golden
- almonds - 130g, blanched
- pistachios - 130g, shelled
- food grade wild orange essential oil - 2-3 drops, optional
- almond essence - 1⁄2 tsp
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- cornflour - 20g
- egg white - 1
- Begin the stollen first: Place lemon zest (1), orange zest (1), and sugar (100g) into the bowl and mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Add butter (150g), egg yolk (1), milk (300g) and yeast (30g) to the bowl and warm 2 minutes / 37C / Speed 2.
- Add flour (540g) and mix Speed 6 / 10 seconds.
- Add dried or glazed fruit (150g), almonds (70g) and salt flakes (pinch) and Program 2 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Tip onto floured surface. Some of the fruit may not be incorporated, don’t worry, complete this by hand as you knead into a tight ball, wrap (in cling film, silicone mat or tea towel) and allow to rise until doubled.
- While waiting for the dough to rise, make your marzipan: Place sugar (250g) into bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Add almonds (130g) and pistachios (130g). Mill Speed 7 / 20 seconds.
- Add orange oil (2-3 drops), almond essence (1/2 tsp), vanilla bean paste (1 tsp), corn flour (20g) and egg white (1) to the bowl. Blend Speed 5 / 40 seconds.
- Refrigerate until marzipan is not oily and can be worked with easily, around 30 minutes.
- When dough has risen sufficiently divide in half and roll each into a flat rectangle. Spread half the pistachio marzipan across the dough and roll up into a log shape, tucking in ends of dough to seal. Place onto flat baking tray, seam side down and allow to rise a second time.
- Repeat with other piece of dough.
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden on top (should still be moist).
- Cool for 10 minutes. Brush each loaf liberally with melted butter and then sprinkle with icing sugar. Leave for 30 minutes and then sprinkle again with remaining icing sugar.
- Decorate with glazed citrus or cherries or both.
- Wrap and store for up to 2 weeks in the fridge, though personally I like it fresh with, you guessed it, lots of butter! But it is Christmas….