Looking for a Christmas chicken that is cooked to perfection? This is steamed for an hour in your mixer before being transferred to the oven for a deliciously crispy outside. Flavoursome and tender. The perfect main dish for a Hot Christmas Dinner. Use the leftover steaming water to create one of the easiest and tastiest gravies you have ever come across. The gravy is pale in colour, big in flavour and perfect for serving with this chicken.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A lovely moist chicken where I could cook the veggies while the chicken browned in the oven and rested." - Cindy
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- whole chicken - 1.3 Kg
- Apple and Fennel Stuffing - (*can be made GF)
- salt - 1 tsp
- paprika - 1 tsp
- water - 1L, hot
- plain flour - 30g (*can use GF plain flour or tapioca starch for GF)
- chicken stock - 10g, paste, or vegetable stock paste
- Rinse the insides of the chicken (1.3kg) out in running water.
- Ideally, set the chicken in a bowl of water with a few teaspoons of salt for a few hours, or even overnight.
- Drain chicken well before stuffing the chicken with the Apple and Fennel Stuffing, then place stuffed chicken into the steaming attachment lower dish. Drizzle with oil and season the skin with salt (1 tsp), pepper (1 tsp) and paprika (1 tsp), or to your taste.
- If you have just made the stuffing, there is no need to wash the bowl. Fill bowl with hot tap water (1L). Close lid and set the steaming attachment in place. Program 60 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- With 10 minutes to go, preheat oven to 200C. Line a roasting dish with baking paper.
- Remove the chicken from the steaming attachment and carefully transfer to the prepared roasting dish. Drizzle with a little more oil, salt, pepper and / or paprika if you wish. Add any extra stuffing to the roasting pan for baking.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until skin has crisped to your desired amount.
- While the chicken is cooking, you can make the gravy. Pour the remaining liquid from the bowl into the heatproof jug. Set aside.
- Add plain flour (30g) and stock paste (10g) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 3. After 10 seconds, begin to slowly pour the liquid through the lid until it is all combined.
- Turn off the heating and blend Speed 6 / 15 seconds, measuring cap on. Pour gravy into a gravy boat.
- Ideally, allow chicken to rest for 15 minutes before serving. Slice up the stuffing to serve drizzled with gravy.