Chopped Cabbage Salad with Tangy White Sauce
This white sauce has been getting rave reviews from our testers! It's great to have on hand to accompany the Fish Tacos, but you may also find it's your "go-to" dressing. It goes so well with this fresh and colourful salad.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is really yummy. The sauce gave it a lovely flavour hit. I added some extra carrot and celery to the bowl after making the sauce for a nice coleslaw for tomorrow’s lunch." - Kristen
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- Tangy white sauce:
- rice bran oil - 100g
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- egg - 1
- sea salt - pinch, fine
- apple cider vinegar - 10g
- mustard - 1/2 tsp, Dijon
- sour cream - 125g
- lime - 1, juice only
- cumin - 1/2 tsp, ground
- dried oregano - 1/2 tsp
- paprika - 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper - pinch
- Chopped cabbage salad:
- cabbage - 150g, white, in chunks
- cabbage - 200g, purple, in chunks
- fresh coriander - handful
- tangy white sauce - 50g
Tangy white sauce:
- Sit the measuring jug on the lid of your mixer and weigh oil (100g) into the jug. Set aside.
- Put garlic clove (1) in the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add the egg (1), salt (pinch), vinegar (10g) and mustard (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 37C / Speed 4. The time it takes to reach 37C will vary based on how cold your ingredients were to begin with. You don’t have to wait the full 2 minutes – stop whenever 37C has been reached.
- Program 2:30 minutes / 37C / Speed 4. With the blades running and the measuring cap in place, begin to slowly pour the oil (100g) onto the lid. Try to pour at a relatively steady pace (don’t stress too much though, the measuring cap will compensate for any over-enthusiasm with the oil). Take almost the full 2:30 minutes to add in the oil. Let the blades run for another 10-15 seconds after all the oil has gone in.
- Using your spatula, move any garlic that is on the base of your mixer and remove the whisk attachment.
- Add sour cream (125g), lime juice (from 1 lime), cumin (1/2 tsp), oregano (1/2 tsp), paprika (1/4 tsp) and cayenne (pinch) to the bowl. Mix Speed 3 / 10 seconds.
- Set aside in the fridge.
Chopped cabbage salad:
- Add white cabbage (150g), purple cabbage (200g) and coriander (handful) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Add tangy white sauce (50g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little extra white sauce before serving.