Choose Your Own Adventure Cake
This versatile cake is a favourite in The 4 Blades kitchen. It has been shared with us by the inspiring Alexx Stuart. She loves that you can commit one base recipe to memory and change up the additional extras to keep it interesting. We often whizz it up when guests are on their way and serve in the form of muffins. It’s so easy to throw it all in to your thermo mixer, and get it straight into the oven. As far as basic birthday cakes go, it’s a winner. We don’t even need to say it’s a gluten free winner… it’s just a winner!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This cake is so easy and I love the versatility of it to create different flavours. The fact my very fussy 7yr old loves it makes it a huge winner in my books!" - Claire
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Egg / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 12-40 minutes depending on oven and cake size
Can be frozen
- buckwheat kernels - 80g, buckwheat flour or tapioca flour
- eggs - 3, whole
- butter - 80g, or ghee (*or coconut oil for DF version)
- rice malt syrup - 150g, or to taste
- coconut flour - 30g
- cinnamon - 2 tsp, ground
- baking powder - 1 tsp, aluminium free
- vanilla bean powder - 1 tsp, or 2 tsp liquid vanilla extract
- chocolate - 80g, dark (85%), rough chopped
- banana - 1, overripe
- raspberries - 80g, frozen, or blueberries
- apple - 80g
- cranberries - 40, dried
- additions - your favourite! One of our favourite lower-sugar combinations is 1 banana, 1 apple and reducing the rice malt syrup to 75g
- Preheat oven to 170C. Prepare baking vessel of choice.
- If using kernels, add the buckwheat (80g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 10. Keep the flour in the bowl.
- If you are using buckwheat flour (80g), add it to the bowl now, along with eggs (3), butter (80g), rice malt syrup (150g), coconut flour (30g), cinnamon (2 tsp), baking powder (1 tsp), vanilla (1-2 tsp) and your extra additions.
- Combine Speed 5 / 10 seconds. NOTE that if you wish to have chunks of your favourite additions, combine using the reverse function OR mix in manually with the spatula.
- Pour into prepared baking vessel.
- Cook until skewer comes out clean. We found 12 minutes was perfect for little muffins, and whole cakes will take longer.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. This cake is delicious slightly warm!