Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Looking for something a bit different that is low on sugar? This may be the recipe for you! This dense chocolatey bread has a gorgeous spicy flavour and is sweetened only by the chocolate (we used a 70% dark chocolate) and the orange. Of course, you can add extra sweetener if you like, but this is designed to be for those that want something special, without all the sugar.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 45 minutes
Can be frozen
- zucchini - 200g, roughly chopped
- chocolate - 100g, dark (*can use DF)
- coconut oil - 50g
- cinnamon - 1 tsp
- ginger - 1/2 tsp, ground
- cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- bicarb soda - 1 tsp
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - pinch
- eggs - 4
- oranges - 1, flesh only
- coconut flour - 70g
- Preheat oven to 170C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Add zucchini (200g) to the bowl and chop Speed 5 / 2 seconds. Sit in basket to drain in the sink.
- Clean and dry bowl.
- Add roughly broken up dark chocolate (100g) to bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 7 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add coconut oil (50g). Program 1:30 minutes / 60C / Speed 3. Scrape down sides.
- Add whisk attachment.
- Add cinnamon (1 tsp), ground ginger (1/2 tsp), cayenne (1/4 tsp), bicarb soda (1 tsp), baking powder (1tsp), salt (pinch) and eggs (4) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / Speed 4.
- Remove whisk attachment.
- Add the flesh of an orange (1) to the bowl. Speed 10 / 20 seconds.
- Add drained zucchini to the bowl. Reverse+Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Add coconut flour (70g). Reverse+Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire cooling rack and slice.
Notes for an apple variation:
- Omit the orange and replace with 2 small apples (approximately 190g). Grate the apples with the zucchini, set with the zucchini in the basket to drain and then add back into the mixture when you add the zucchini.
- When adding the spices, omit the ginger and cayenne and replace with vanilla extract (1 tsp).