Chocolate Hazelnut Meringue Cake
A true centrepiece to your table this Christmas, this cake will last for several weeks in an airtight container. It is from Tenina Holder's book Merry Christmix Too. Perfect for impressive party entertaining and just as fabulous for close family gatherings.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This cake was amazingly luscious, and I love the fact that it can be made well ahead." - Erika
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- Crio Brü - 50g, granules
- hazelnuts - 250g, roasted with skins removes
- chocolate - 250g, dark, in pieces
- brown sugar - 200g
- vanilla bean paste - 1 Tbsp
- eggs - 5
- salt - pinch, pink
- cornflour - 20g
- butter - 200g, cubed
- hazelnuts - 200g, roasted and skins removed
- chocolate - 150g, dark, in pieces
- egg whites - 4
- cornflour - 1 tsp
- salt - pinch
- icing sugar - 220g
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- Place the hazelnuts (200g) and chocolate (150g) for the meringue into the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 2 seconds. Remove from bowl and set aside.
- Without cleaning the bowl, place Crio Brü (50g) into bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 30 seconds.
- Add hazelnuts (250g) and dark chocolate (250g) to the bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Add brown sugar (200g), vanilla (1 Tbsp), eggs (6), salt (pinch), cornflour (20g) and butter (200g) to the bowl. Blend Speed 8 / 30-40 seconds. Pour into prepared tin and set aside.
- Place egg whites (4), cornflour (1 tsp) and salt (pinch) into a clean, dry mixing bowl and beat with hand held whisk or electric beater until foamy. Slowly add icing sugar (220g) a little at a time until you have a glossy meringue. You can attempt this step in your mixer, but better results have been achieved with the use of a hand mixer.
- Add the previously chopped hazelnuts and chocolate to the meringue and fold through using a spatula until just blended.
- Spread on top of cake in a swirling pattern and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until meringue is cooked and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in tin completely before removing.
- Serve in thin wedges.
- Decorate with a few additional roasted hazelnuts and some drizzled melted chocolate.