Chocolate Cupcakes with Choc Buttercream Icing
These deliciously light gluten free cupcakes have been shared with us by Helen from Hungry & Fussy. The combination of gluten free flour and almond meal results in a lighter texture compared to a more dense flourless chocolate cake. We have had this recipe tested multiple times, using both gluten free and standard flours and the feedback has been consistent... the best cupcakes ever!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These were absolutely delicious! I took a batch into work and everyone was raving about them. They couldn't believe they were gluten free and so delicious!" -Claire
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 40 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Makes 24 medium cupcakes
Can be froze
- chocolate - 100g, dark cooking
- milk - 250g
- butter - 125g, unsalted, softened
- brown sugar - 250g
- eggs - 3
- self raising flour - 130g, gluten free
- almond meal - 110g (or almonds)
- cocoa powder - 25g, Dutch processed
- Chocolate buttercream icing:
- chocolate - 100g, 70% dark cooking
- icing sugar - 400g
- butter - 250g, unsalted, softened
- chocolate - Flake, optional
- Preheat oven to 160C and grease and line the muffin tin.
- If you need to make your own almond meal, add almonds (110g) to the bowl and grind Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Place chocolate (100g only) and milk (250g) into mixer bowl. Program 4 minutes / 50C / Speed 3. Set aside in a bowl.
- To a clean dry bowl, add butter (125g only) and brown sugar (250g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 20 seconds, or until creamy.
- Turn to Speed 4, and add eggs (3) one at a time through the lid. After adding the last egg allow the motor to run for another 10 seconds.
- Add flour (130g), almond meal (110g) and cocoa (25g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Add chocolate milk mixture to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tray and bake for 20 minutes.
Note: You may wish to make a smaller quantity of icing if you are making larger cupcakes (therefore fewer in number), not piping the icing, or do not want to cover the top of the cupcake.
- Add chocolate (100g only) to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 8 seconds, and then program 3 minutes / 50C / Speed 2.5. Set aside in a heatproof bowl to cool.
- To the clean dry bowl, add icing sugar (400g). Mix Speed 9 / 5 seconds to remove lumps.
- Add butter (250g). Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds.
- Add cooled melted chocolate to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 15 seconds.
- Transfer buttercream icing to a piping bag and pipe the icing onto the top of all the cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with crumbled Flake chocolate.