Choc Almond Croissants
This yummy breakfast has been brought to you by Tenina Holder, and could be pre-made well in advance and just heated through on the Big Day...What a great start to a day of festivities! You can find it in Tenina's Merry Christmix Too book.
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- croissants - 6, day old or stale
- almonds - 100g
- chocolate - 100g, dark
- butter - 100g, unsalted, cubed
- almond essence - drizzle (*omit for NF version)
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- salt flakes - pinch, pink
- egg - 1
- almonds - flaked, to finish (*omit for NF version)
- water - 200g
- caster sugar - 100g
- rum - dash, or brandy, optional
- To make the syrup, place water (200g) and caster sugar (100g) in bowl and cook 7 minutes / 80C / Speed 3 until the sugar is dissolved. You can add a dash of brandy or rum at this point. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Cut croissants (6) in half and lay bottom halves in baking tray.
- Place almonds (100g) into bowl and mill Speed 8 / 8 seconds.
- Add chocolate (100g) and mill Speed 8 / 8 seconds.
- Add butter (100g), almond essence (drizzle), vanilla (1 tsp), salt (pinch), and egg (1) and blend Speed 5 / 4 seconds.
- When blended, spoon onto croissant halves and close croissant with top halves.
- Pour syrup over and allow to soak in. And this is a good point for more alcohol of choice… but you didn’t hear it from me!
- At this point you can cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before continuing if you wish.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds and bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve hot.