Chipotle Chips with Aioli
Don't you love it when you can enjoy something that is both creamy and dairy free? Nikalene Riddle from Skinnymixers has created a fabulously tasty addition for your dairy free packed lunch. As far as hot chips with aioli go, this is actually really healthy because of the use of premium oil and air frying (or oven baking). There are also no hidden nasties in the aioli. Chill your aioli and pack it in your lunch in an airtight container with ice bricks. The chipotle chips can be packed in alfoil. A great picnic option!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Yummy chips paired beautifully with a delightfully thick aioli!" - Joe
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 20-40 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- garlic clove - 1 small, peeled
- egg yolk - 1
- mustard - 1 tsp, Dijon
- lemon juice - 2 tsp, fresh (or extra to taste)
- honey - 5g, raw
- pepper - to taste
- salt - to taste
- avocado - 125g, or light olive oil, see Note
- Crunchy chipotle chips:
- potato - 500g, washed and sliced into thin rounds
- salt - pinch
- avocado - 2 tsp, or olive oil
- salt flakes - 1 tsp, pink
- chipotle powder - 1/2 tsp (or 1/2 tsp smoked paprika + pinch of cayenne pepper)
- paprika - 1/2 tsp, mild
Crunchy chipotle chips:
- Soak the potato slices (500g) in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain well. While they are soaking, make the aioli.
- Weigh the oil (125g) out by setting a measuring jug on the lid of your mixer. Set aside.
- Add the garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 9 / 3 seconds, measuring cap on. Scrape down sides.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add the egg yolk (1), mustard (1 tsp), lemon juice (2 tsp), honey (5g), salt and pepper (to taste) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / 37C / Speed 4, measuring cap on.
- Program 3 minutes / 37C / Speed 4 and start drizzling the oil (125g) into the bowl. Take the full 3 minutes to do so. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Scrape down sides and set aside in a small bowl.
Crunchy chipotle chips:
- Soak the potato slices (500g) in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl. Cover them with cold water and add salt (pinch). Program 10 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- In a large bowl, coat the potatoes in the oil (2 tsp). Then either cook them in the air fryer at 200C for 20 minutes or in a very hot oven for 30-40 minutes.
- To a large bowl, add salt (1 tsp), chipotle powder (1/2 tsp) and paprika (1/2 tsp). When the chips are cooked, toss them in the seasoning to coat.
- Serve with the aioli for a delicious snack.
Note: Nikalene recommends the avocado oil from Costco® or the light tasting olive oil by Cobram®.