Chinese Five Spice
This is a great blend to whip up and add to meals for an Asian flavour boost. Mix with a little honey, soy sauce and freshly grated ginger to make a deliciously simple marinade for meat!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Very tasty and tasted like the premixed jars, only fresher!" - Michelle
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 3 minutes
Makes 1/3 cup
Can be multiplied several times. Fill the bowl only to halfway for best results.
Can be frozen
You will need:
- star anise - 6 pods, whole
- cloves - 15, whole
- dried fennel - 1 Tbsp, seeds
- peppercorns - 1 Tbsp, Szechuan
- cinnamon - 1.5 quills, broken up
- Add the whole star anise pods (6), whole cloves (15), fennel seeds (1 Tbsp), whole Szechuan peppercorns (1 Tbsp) and broken up cinnamon quills (1.5) to the bowl. Program 1:30 minutes / Speed 10.
- Place into an airtight jar and store for up to 6 months.
Note: Do not freeze this spice blend if it will be used regularly, as the continuous opening of the container can lead to loss of flavour, freezer burn and condensation buildup. Freeze until needed, then store in an airtight jar to use regularly if desired.