Chilli Con Veggie
Chilli con carne is a favourite comfort food for many families. Well, here is a great vegetarian alternative. It makes for a delicious dinner that is packed with plant protein. Enjoy it as it is, or serve it with slices of bread, rice or corn chips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "If you have a trip to the shops where you miss half of your grocery list because Child 1 is spinning his mini trolley around so much it gets dizzy with him and Child 2 has dissolved in hysterical tears because you rolled down the edge of his pretzel packet to make it easier for him to get his food, then don't worry! This recipe is quick and easy to prepare for and you can just put the ingredients into the bowl and let it cook away while you attend to other parts of your life (like previously mentioned children) for 45 minutes and return to a fabulous, nourishing meal!" - Claire
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- leek - 1, roughly chopped and washed between the layers
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli - 1, red, to your preferred level of heat
- olive oil - 30g
- cumin - 1 Tbsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 Tbsp, ground
- paprika - 1 Tbsp, smoked
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp, ground
- dried oregano - 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- lentils - 250g, dried green
- red kidney beans - 2 x 400g tins, rinsed and drained
- tomatoes - 400g tin, chopped
- vegetable stock - 1 cube or 1 tsp vegetable stock paste
- water - 600g
- corn - 400g, tin, sweet
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - pinch, black, ground
- Place the leek (1), onion (1), garlic cloves (2) and chilli (1) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the olive oil (30g). Program 10 minutes / 120C* / Speed 1.
- Add cumin (1 Tbsp), coriander (1 Tbsp), paprika (1 Tbsp), cinnamon (1/2 tsp), oregano (1 Tbsp) and tomato paste (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add the lentils (250g), kidney beans (2 x 400g tins), chopped tomatoes (400g tin), vegetable stock cube (1), water (600g), sweet corn (400g tin), salt (1/2 tsp) and pepper (pinch) to the bowl. Program 45 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Serve with rice or a jacket potato and sour cream.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.