Chilli Con Carne with Rice
This hearty and delicious chilli con carne has been contributed to us by Robyn from Mrs D plus 3. We have included rice for the family in our costing, but this would also lend itself to sitting atop a bed of corn chips covered in cheese for delicious and not-too-naughty nachos. Don't let the long ingredient list fool you, the spices and seasonings in this recipe are commonly found in most pantries and therefore it is not only flavoursome, but also quite economical. That being said, you can tweak it to include the seasonings you have available rather than going out and purchasing a spice rack worth of new items. Tins of tomatoes and beans are often on special and really help to bulk out a meal, so stock up when you see them on sale. It's quite mild for a chilli con carne so heat-seekers should add some extra chilli
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This was tasty and sooo easy to make. Very budget friendly as I already had most of the ingredients. I'm always looking for recipes with a good taste to cost / effort ratio and this one nailed it." - Sarah
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 50 minutes
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- olive oil - 10g
- carrots - 2, roughly chopped
- capsicum - 1, red, deseeded and roughly chopped
- celery - 2 sticks, roughly chopped
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- chilli flakes - 1 tsp, powder, or to taste (can use fresh if preferred. Add to Step 1.)
- pepper - black, to taste
- red kidney beans - 400g, tinned, drained
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, chopped
- tomato paste - 50g
- chickpeas - 400g tin, drained
- balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- vegetable stock - 1 Tbsp, paste
- beef mince - 500g
- Add the onion (1) and garlic cloves (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Add the oil (10g). Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add the carrots (2), capsicum (1) and celery sticks (2). Chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Add the cumin (1 tsp), chilli flakes (1 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp) and black pepper. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add the kidney beans (400g tin), tomatoes (400g tin), tomato paste (50g), chickpeas (400g tin), balsamic vinegar (1 Tbsp) and stock (1 Tbsp) to the bowl.
- Mix Reverse+Speed 1 / 45 seconds.
- Add the mince (500g). Program 25 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed