Yakitori is made with several bite-size pieces of chicken meat, mounted on a bamboo skewer and grilled. However I love just making it in batches, cooking it up and popping it in to the lunchbox (minus the skewers). Or keeping it in the fridge and nibbling on them as a snack. This is a great lunch hot or cold! Perfect for an alternative to sandwiches! Pop it into the lunchbox with a couple of rice balls and some fruit and vegetables and they will gobble it up! - Yvette
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Looked, smelled and tasted amazing! A quick and easy but more importantly DELICIOUS yakitori recipe! So close to the real thing it brought back memories of time spent in Japan!" - Rach
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
- garlic cloves - 1-2. peeled
- soy sauce - 60g (*ensure GF if required)
- mirin - 40g
- maple syrup - 40g
- chicken breast - 500-750g, or thigh, sliced thinly
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water while preparing the recipe.
- Place garlic cloves (1-2) into bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 6 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add soy sauce (60g), mirin (40g) and maple syrup (40g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 5 seconds to combine.
- Add chicken slices (500-750g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds.
- Marinate for at least 5 minutes (up to 1 hour).
- String the chicken onto soaked wooden skewers and grill over a medium heat. If not skewering, pop into a frying pan with a little oil until golden brown and cooked through.