Chicken Wonton Noodle Soup
Not only is this delicious, but also fun to make! Get the kiddies involved in the folding process. It’s great fun! You can alter the filling to suit your tastes. Prawns could be used in addition or as a substitute. Pork is also an option. Vary the vegetables you want to use to suit your preferences. My veggies are raw as I love the crunch but you can steam them first if you like. It’s a very adaptable dish.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Moist wontons with simple flavours but really tasty!" - Kylie
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg (*Check wrapper ingredients if using store bought)
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Broth and wontons can be frozen separately
- chicken breast - 1, large, chopped into 4 chunks
- soy sauce - 1 Tbsp
- oyster sauce - 1 Tbsp
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- spring onion - 3
- wonton wrappers - 25
- water - for sticking wontons together
- chicken stock - 1200g, good quality, or broth
- garlic cloves - 2
- ginger - 5-10g, piece
- chilli - 1, mild, chopped in half (or adjust the level of heat from the chilli to your preference)
- lemongrass - 1, stalk, cut into chunks and slightly crushed
- vermicelli noodles - 100g, dry
- carrot - 1, thinly sliced
- bean sprouts - 150g
- snow peas - 15, thinly sliced
- salt - and / or soy sauce, to season (optional)
- Place spring onions (3) and garlic (1) into bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add diced chicken breast (1), soy sauce (1 Tbsp) and oyster sauce (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 7 / 5-8 seconds until a smooth paste/mince is formed.
- Put a little chicken mix in a wonton wrapper. Fold in half into a triangle and pull the two ends together.
- Lightly oil the top steaming tray. Place wontons on to the tray. Set aside.
- Insert simmering basket into main bowl.
- Add garlic (2), ginger (5-10g), chilli (1) and lemongrass stalk (1) into basket.
- Pour chicken stock (1.2L) over and into bowl. Do not fill past the maximum line on your bowl.
- Place steaming attachment in place with tray of wontons.
- Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. There will be one extra wonton which can be a tester. This will leave 24 for the 6 servings.
- Soak vermicelli noodles (100g) in water until re-hydrated. Time will depend on brand and thickness of noodle. Follow the instructions on the packet.
- Set up 6 bowls (or less if preferred)
- Add some of the drained noodles, carrots, bean sprouts and snow peas to each bowl.
- Top with four wontons.
- Remove rice basket from bowl and discard the garlic, ginger, chilli etc.
- Pour broth over noodles. Season with salt or soy sauce, as desired.
- Serve immediately.