- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: Serves more than 10
Chicken & Vegetable Sausage Rolls
These delicious sausage rolls have been shared with us by Lucy from Bake Play Smile. These make the perfect weekend lunch (especially served with a big squirt of tomato sauce), but they're also classic party fare. Who can go past a homemade sausage roll?
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A healthier and tastier take on the traditional sausage roll. Made a quick mid-week meal served with green/garden salad." - Christina
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Can be frozen
- carrot - 1
- zucchini - 1
- onion - 1, brown
- sausage mince - 500g, see Notes
- chicken mince - 500g (beef, lamb or veal can also be used)
- garlic clove - 1, crushed, or 1 tsp minced garlic
- tomato sauce - 30g
- Worcestershire sauce - 70g
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- puff pastry - 4 sheets, thawed
- egg - 1
- milk - 1 Tbsp
- sesame seeds - or black poppy seeds, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 220C (200C if using fan-forced).
- Place carrot (1), zucchini (1) and onion (1) into the bowl. Closed Lid / Turbo blasts until the mixture is finely grated. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the grated vegetables into a strainer and squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Add the sausage mince (500g), chicken mince (500g), garlic (1), grated vegetables, tomato sauce (30g), Worcestershire sauce (70g), salt and pepper (to taste) to the bowl.
- Mix on Reverse+Speed 5 / 15 seconds, or until completely combined.
- Cut one sheet of defrosted puff pastry in half.
- Whisk the egg and milk together.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg mixture down one long side of each pastry half.
- Place 1/8 of the sausage mixture down the opposite side of the pastry.
- Roll the sausage rolls into a long thin roll.
- Make sure the joined pastry seam is facing down.
- Cut each roll into 3 pieces.
- Brush lightly with the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place the sausage rolls onto non-stick baking trays. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffed and the mixture is cooked through.
- For sausage rolls with crispy bases it's best to place the sausage rolls directly onto non-stick baking trays. However, if you're worried about your sausage rolls sticking to the baking trays, you can place baking paper down first. Please note that if you do choose to use baking paper, the bottom of your sausage rolls may not become crispy due to the excess liquid that will sit on the baking paper from the sausage rolls as they cook. If this is the case, add fresh baking paper halfway through cooking or drain any liquid off the baking paper and turn the sausage rolls over.
- Sausage mince can be found at most supermarkets in the mince section. It is sold as a roll, wrapped in plastic.
Already a member? Click here to login.Add to Favourites