Chicken Stuffed Pasta Shells in Cheese Sauce
This recipe uses the large pasta shells that you can find in continental supermarkets or delis. It is perfect for a very special dinner for two... but chances are, you will love it so much that you will want to make a big batch of it to eat again (and have some in the freezer!) So the great news is, it can be doubled!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “It was such a flavoursome dish that I can't wait to make it again! The combination of the pasta, chicken mixture and cheese worked perfectly and tasted amazing." - Anita
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
small casserole dish
- pasta - 18, large shells
- onion - 1/2, peeled and quartered
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- olive oil - 30g
- chicken mince - 250g
- dried mixed herbs - 1 tsp
- tomato paste - 50g
- chicken stock - 1 tsp, paste, or vegetable stock paste*
- Parmesan cheese - 100g, grated
- milk - 400g
- butter - 30g
- plain flour - 30g
- mustard powder - 1 tsp
- Parmesan cheese - 60g, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- If you need to grate your cheese, add cubed Parmesan cheese (160g) to the bowl and grate Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Boil the large pasta shells (18) for 6 minutes in a large saucepan of boiling water, uncovered. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add the peeled and quartered onion (1/2) and peeled garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add olive oil (30g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add chicken mince (250g), dried mixed herbs (1 tsp), tomato paste (50g) and stock paste (1 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Wash the bowl well.
- Add the milk (400g), butter (30g), plain flour (30g) and mustard powder (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 90C / Speed 4.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese (60g only). Program 1 minute / 90C / Speed 4.
- Place a little sauce into the base of a small casserole dish.
- Place the cooked shells into the base and divide chicken mince up among them.
- Pour the sauce over the shells and sprinkle the remaining grated Parmesan cheese (100g) over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and the pasta and chicken mix are cooked through.
- Serve with a side salad.
Make your own!
* Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.