Chicken Spaghetti Bake
This simple dinner is a family favourite, especially with kids. If you have old vegetables that will soon be passed their best days, you can cook them, puree them and freeze them as mentioned in our Budget Tip: Valuable Vegetables. They are perfect to stir through the sauce to increase the nutritional content of this dish. The other ingredients are common to most kitchens, or can easily be bought. To reduce the cost of this meal further you can replace the chicken breast with chicken thigh or a tin of tuna... or simply leave out the meat!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This was a hit - all 8 of my kids loved it as well as hubby and myself. I like that you could make this different every time by using up veggies in your fridge. I even used bread crusts that normally get thrown out. This will be a regular meal, I think!" - Summah
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Variations: Can be made without Gluten
- pasta - 500g, spaghetti (*can use GF)
- bread - 50g, day old bread is best (*can use GF)
- cheese - 120g, cubed
- dried mixed herbs - 1 tsp, optional
- chicken breast - 500g, diced
- tomato soup - 400ml tin, condensed
- evaporated milk - 375ml tin
- vegetables of choice - leftover puree, optional
- milk - 300g
- Cook the spaghetti according to instructions, drain and set aside.
- Add bread (50g) to the bowl. Closed Lid / Turbo / 4 seconds.
- Add cheese (120g) and dried herbs (1 tsp, optional) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Set aside.
- Add chicken (500g), soup (400ml tin), evaporated milk (375ml tin) and vegetable puree (optional) to the bowl. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In the large casserole dish combine spaghetti, chicken, sauce and milk (300g) thoroughly. Cover with the cheesy breadcrumb mixture.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and allow the top of the bake to become golden brown (about 10-15 minutes). If you have a grill function in your oven, you can utilise this, which will require less time.
- Serve by itself or with a fresh salad.