Chicken Quinoa Chickpea Salad
This delicious fresh flavour-packed simple salad has been shared with us by Gabrielle Tobin from Kitch'n Thyme. It makes the perfect addition to any BBQ, celebration or simply for weekday lunches or kids' lunchboxes. This salad is delightfully fresh, zesty and punchy - the fresh herbs really make it!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is a flavoursome simple recipe which is divine on your taste buds!" - Heidi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- dried italian herbs - 1 tsp
- paprika - 1/2 tsp, smoked
- sea salt - 1 tsp
- lemon - 1/2, zest only
- chicken breasts - 2
- olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- quinoa - 170g, white
- water - 400g, to steam
- chickpeas - 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- tomatoes - 250g, cherry, halved
- onion - 1/2, red, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- fresh parsley - bunch, Italian, leaves only, chopped roughly
- fresh mint - 1/3-1/2, bunch, leaves only, chopped roughly
- olive oil - 60g
- lemon juice - 20g
- dried italian herbs - 1 tsp
- garlic powder - 1 tsp
- onion powder - 1 tsp
- sea salt - 2 tsp, Celtic
- Soak the quinoa (170g) in a small bowl 30 minutes prior to cooking this recipe. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To a mixing bowl, add Italian herbs (1 tsp), paprika (1/2 tsp), salt (1 tsp) and lemon zest (from 1/2 lemon). Toss the chicken breasts (2) in the herbs, spices and lemon.
- Add oil (1 Tbsp) to a frying pan on medium heat and sear the chicken breasts until golden brown on each side. If not fully cooked through, place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with foil and finish cooking in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, you can slice the breast into strips before marinating and cook in the steaming attachment lower dish above the quinoa for 17-20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Once the chicken is cooked and cooled sightly, shred the chicken into pieces by hand or place in the mixer bowl and shred Reverse+Speed 4-5 / 3-4 seconds (keeping a close eye on it that it doesn't turn into paste!) Set aside.
- Place the soaked quinoa into the internal steaming basket. Place the water (400g) into the mixer bowl and set the basket in place. Program 20-25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Remove the basket and set aside to drain. Place the quinoa into a large mixing bowl to cool down.
- Once cooled, add the chicken along with chickpeas (400g tin), cherry tomatoes (250g), onion (1/2), parsley (bunch) and mint (1/3-1/2 bunch).
- Add oil (60g), lemon juice (20g), Italian herbs (1 tsp), garlic powder (1 tsp), onion powder (1 tsp) and salt (2 tsp) to the mixer bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Pour over the salad just prior to serving and toss to combine.
- When cooking the chicken breast, if you have really thick breasts you can slice them horizontally to make them a little thinner so that the meat will cook more evenly.
- This makes an awesome salad in a jar too! Place the dressing on the base of the jar, followed by the chicken, quinoa, tomatoes, onion, and herbs on top!