Larb is a kind of minced meat salad which is regarded as the national dish of Laos. I love Chicken Larb. I love how fresh it tastes and how light it is to eat especially in the warmer months. I serve this cold in lettuce leaves but you can serve hot or cold and certainly serve it with rice or rice noodles. This is a great meal to whip up on a Sunday evening and allow the flavours to develop overnight. This then becomes your lunch or dinner on the run for the next few days. This is a very mild dish however you can up the chilli level to increase the heat. - Peta
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Tree Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Serves 4-6 for entree
Can be frozen
- ginger - 10g piece, peeled and roughly chopped
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- chilli - 1/2 long red, roughly chopped (you can use more for a hotter Larb)
- lemongrass - 5cm piece, white part only, roughly chopped
- peanuts - 1 Tbsp, sesame or coconut oil
- chicken mince - 500g
- fish sauce - 3 tsp (*check for gluten if necessary)
- brown sugar - 3 tsp, coconut sugar or palm sugar
- lime - 2, juice of one, and wedges to serve
- onion - 1/2, red, thinly sliced or diced
- fresh coriander - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- fresh mint - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- lettuce - cos, leaves, to serve
- Place ginger (10g), garlic (3 cloves), chill (1/2 a long chilli) and lemon grass (5cm piece) into bowl. Speed 9 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 9 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (1 Tbsp). Program 4 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. Scrape down sides.
- Add chicken mince (500g) in 4 large clumps. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add fish sauce (3 tsp), sugar (3 tsp) and lime juice (from one lime) to bowl. Program 1 minute / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Stir through diced onion (1/2), coriander (3 Tbsp) and mint (3 tsp).
- Serve hot or allow to cool.
- Serve in lettuce cups with a squeeze of lime juice over.
- Pork can be used in place of chicken.
- You may prefer to use 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce rather than fresh chilli in this recipe.