This delicious family meal has been shared with us by Gabrielle Tobin from Kitch’n Thyme. It’s simple and yummy and something that suits the whole family. You can very easily just eat it without the tortillas for a lower carb option as well! They pack a punch in flavour, and if you plan ahead and make the tortillas earlier it can be a quick 30 minute meal!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Fajitas are always a big hit with the family and this one tasted so fresh and delicious, much better than the packet mixes at the supermarket." - Liz
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Tortillas and chicken can be frozen
- Spelt tortillas: (*omit for GF, or use the Fast Grain Free Flat Breads from The Made in 30 Issue)
- spelt flour - 200g, wholemeal, plus extra for dusting
- spelt flour - 200g, plain
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- olive oil - 80g
- water - 200g
- Grilled chicken:
- olive oil - 4 Tbsp
- onions - 2, red, peeled and sliced into wedges
- capsicum - 1/2, red, thinly sliced
- capsicum - 1/2, yellow, thinly sliced
- capsicum - 1/2, green, thinly sliced
- chicken breasts - 2, thinly sliced
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- paprika - 1 tsp, smoked
- salt - 1 tsp
- Fresh salsa:
- cucumbers - 2, Lebanese, finely diced
- tomatoes - 4, Roma, finely diced
- onion - 1/4, red, peeled and finely diced
- fresh coriander - 1/4, bunch, roughly chopped
- dried coriander - 1/4 tsp, ground
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- avocados - 2, ripe
- lemon - 1/2, juice only
- salt - 1/4-1/2 tsp
- To serve:
- sour cream - optional (*omit for DF)
- Place the wholemeal spelt flour (200g), spelt flour (200g), baking powder (1 tsp) and salt (1 tsp) into the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 5 seconds.
- Add the oil (80g) and water (200g) to the bowl. Mix Closed Lid / Kneading Function / 20 seconds. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 portions. Roll out on a floured surface to 8-10 inch rounds.
- In a large frying pan, cook the tortillas for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm.
- Heat the oil (4 Tbsp) in a large frying pan and add the onions (2). Fry until beginning to caramelise.
- Add the red capsicum (1/2), yellow capsicum (1/2) and green capsicum (1/2). Fry a little longer.
- Then add the chicken breasts (2) along with cumin (1 tsp), coriander (1 tsp), paprika (1 tsp) and salt (1 tsp).
- Cook, turning for 3-5 minutes until all the chicken is cooked through. Set aside and keep warm. (You can do this step on the BBQ if you have one, for a beautiful charred result, or on a griddle pan).
- Place the diced cucumbers (2), tomatoes (4) and onion (1/4) into a bowl.
- Just before serving add the coriander (1/4 bunch), ground coriander (1/4 tsp), salt (1/2 tsp), oil (2 Tbsp) and lime juice (1 Tbsp). Toss to combine.
- Place the garlic clove (1) into the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the avocados (2), lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon) and salt (1/4-1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Process Speed 5 / 10-15 seconds.
- Grab a tortilla and top with chicken, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Roll up and eat!