Chicken, Celery and Cashew Casserole
This recipe has been shared with us by Lesley Jendra.
"This is a delicious chicken dinner, and you could substitute peanuts for cashews if desired. I have been cooking this casserole for many years and converting it for the thermo mixer was very easy." - Lesley
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It was like I was on a tropical island. The evaporated milk, celery and cashews made it so exotic." - Alana
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Can be frozen
- chicken breast - 1kg, diced
- celery - 2 stalks, sliced
- onion - 150g, peeled and diced
- water - 200g (approx., enough to cover the blades)
- butter - 40g
- cornflour - 30g (*ensure GF if required)
- evaporated milk - 385g tin, coconut flavoured
- milk - 100g
- cashew nuts - 200g, or peanuts, roasted
- Place the diced chicken (1kg) into the steaming attachment lower dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the celery (2 stalks) and onion (150g) into the steaming attachment upper tray.
- Add enough water to cover the blades (approx. 200g) to the bowl. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 12 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Stir the chicken as well as the vegetables.
- Program 12 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the chicken, celery and onion into a casserole dish. Set aside.
- Wash the bowl.
- Add the butter (40g), cornflour (30g), evaporated milk (385g tin), milk (100g), salt and pepper to the bowl.
- Program 7 minutes / 90C / Speed 4.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken mixture and mix.
- Sprinkle roasted cashews (200g) over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve with rice and steamed vegetables of choice.