The rich Italian flavours are infused throughout this dish, and the meat is so tender that it falls off the bone. It has been shared with us by our very own Peta, from her TRTLMT sensation Mixing It Slow. It smells amazing whilst cooking and tastes like a hearty and rich flavour sensation. It's ideal for warming up on a winter's night.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It was nice to use both the mixer and the slow cooker to make a meal. With a toddler it was nice to set and forget once everything was in the slow cooker. Very easy to make and hearty as well. Perfect for those winter days."-Liz
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 8 hours
Serves 4, can be doubled
Can be frozen
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- chicken Maryland portions - 4
- olives - 150g, drained
- onion - 1, large, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- tomatoes - 800g, diced
- red wine - 100g
- tomato paste - 30g
- fresh oregano - 1 tbsp, leaves
- fresh parsley - 1/2, chopped, bunch
- fresh basil - 1/4, leaves, chopped, bunch
- vegetables of choice - steamed, to serve
- Drizzle oil (1 Tbsp) into a large frying pan and heat over a medium to high heat.
- Add chicken (4 portions) into the frying pan and cook on both sides. You only want the chicken to be golden and caramelised all over. You do not need to cook it completely.
- Place chicken portions into the slow cooker bowl. Pour olives (150g) over the top.
- Add the onion (1) and garlic cloves (2) into the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the tomatoes (800g), red wine (100g), tomato paste (30g) and oregano (1 Tbsp) into the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Speed 3. Place internal steaming basket on top of the bowl to prevent spatters.
- Pour sauce over chicken portions.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to suits your tastes and add the fresh parsley (1/2 bunch) and basil (1/4 bunch). Stir gently to combine.
- Serve with steamed vegetables.