Chicken, Bacon and Spinach Bolognese
Another recipe that has been shared from Peta's Mixing It Slow Volume 2 cookbook. This is a great twist on traditional Bolognese that we think you will love. The combination of the chicken, bacon and spices makes for a scrumptious dinner. This is another recipe that is perfect to freeze for another day.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Tasty pasta dish with hidden veggies. The kids will love it. I served with grated Grana Padano cheese on top." - Jenny
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 4 hours 15 minutes
Serves 6-8, can be doubled
Can be frozen
You will need:
large frying pan
- pasta - 400g, of choice, to serve (*can use GF)
- Parmesan cheese - shaved, to serve, optional (*omit for DF)
- bacon - 300g, shortcut, roughly chopped
- onion - 2, large, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- chicken mince - 1kg, or mince of choice
- olive oil - 15g
- carrot - 2, large, finely diced
- celery - 4 stalks, finely diced
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, Roma, whole
- chicken stock - 200g, liquid
- Worcestershire sauce - 40g, ensure GF if required
- tomato paste - 50g
- dried oregano - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked, black
- baby spinach - 50g, leaves, shredded
- Add the chopped bacon (300g), peeled and quartered onions (2) and peeled garlic cloves (4) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Move the bacon mixture into a large frying pan, along with the chicken mince (1kg) and olive oil (15g). Cook over medium heat until the mince is brown and the onions are fragrant and translucent.
- Add the diced carrots (2) and diced celery stalks (4) to the frying pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Move the mince mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the whole Roma tomatoes (400g tin), liquid chicken stock (200g), Worcestershire sauce (40g), tomato paste (50g), dried oregano (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp) and cracked black pepper (1 tsp) to the mixer bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Move the tomato mixture to the slow cooker. Mix to combine.
- Cook on Low for 4 hours.
- Before serving, add the shredded spinach (50g) to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook pasta (400g) according to packet directions. Drain once cooked.
- Serve the Bolognese over cooked pasta. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese if desired.
Make your own!
* Make your own Worcestershire sauce with the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.