Chicken and Vegetable Ravioli with Light Cheese Sauce
This recipe was featured on The 4 Blades blog in 2016. We were so excited to create a grain free pasta recipe! When we were able to use it to create a ravioli that can be filled with a yummy chicken and vegetable mix, we were even more excited! Each component of this dish (especially the completely delicious light cheese sauce!) can be served separately or used as a part of another meal.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I don't have a pasta machine so I was skeptical about my skills to make pasta, but this recipe is easy to follow and so scrummy! My partner has already requested this one again!"- Rach
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 1 hour
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Pasta and sauce can be frozen separately
- potato starch - 100g
- tapioca starch - 150g, extra for rolling
- eggs - 3
- xanthan gum - 1.5 tsp
- olive oil - 40g
- Chicken and vegetable filling:
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- carrot - 100g, roughly chopped
- zucchini - 100g, roughly chopped
- chicken breast - 300g
- tomatoes - 400g, tinned
- dried Italian herbs - 2 tsp
- vegetable stock - 25g, paste
- egg - 1
- pasta - of choice
- olive oil - to serve
- salt - to serve
- pepper - to serve
- Light cheese sauce:
- pecorino cheese - 50g, or Parmesan cheese
- butter - 40g
- milk of choice - 110g
- tapioca starch - 3 tsp
- mustard - 1 tsp, Dijon
- pepper - to taste
- Add potato starch (100g), tapioca starch (150g), eggs (3), xanthan gum (1.5 tsp) and oil (40g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 10 seconds.
- Turn out the dough onto a bench floured with tapioca starch. Roll together in a ball. Wrap in clingfilm and transfer to the fridge.
Chicken and vegetable filling:
- Add the garlic cloves (2), onion (1), carrot (100g) and zucchini (100g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 1 second. Scrape down sides.
- Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Slice chicken breast (300g) horizontally to make 2 thin breasts. Place the chicken breasts in the lower dish of your steaming attachment.
- Add the tomatoes (400g), Italian seasoning (2 tsp) and stock paste (25g) to the bowl. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 18 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Once the filling is cooking, take the pasta dough out of the fridge and divide into 4 parts. Using a rolling pin or pasta machine, roll a piece of dough out into a large, paper thin sheet of dough. Cut each sheet into squares with approx. 12cm sides. Set the squares aside to be filled later.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked through. If so, add the cooked chicken and egg (1) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Fill pasta with chicken mixture. Press the edges down with a fork.
- Boil water in a large saucepan while making the light cheese sauce.
Light cheese sauce:
- Add the cheese (50g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 6 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat to get a really finely grated cheese. Set aside.
- Add butter (40g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 100C / Speed 1 or until completely melted.
- Add milk (110g), tapioca starch (3 tsp), Dijon mustard (1 tsp), grated cheese and pepper to taste to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 3.
- Cook the ravioli in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove one ravioli from the boiling water and cut to check it is cooked through.
- Serve with the cheese sauce or simply with olive oil, salt and pepper.