Chicken and Leek Pie
Chicken and Leek Pie is such a favourite in many households. This is a great dish served up with a big plate of steamed vegetables and enjoyed on a cold winter night. This freezes really well so you can make mini pies and freeze for another time. Vary the filling by adding some small diced vegetables to the mixture before baking. Corn and peas work really well. Please note that this recipe has been updated since our original publication in May 2015 to improve the final result. This is a delicious thick and creamy pie.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A creamy and delicious pie, which is perfect for the whole family. I have a notoriously hard to please family (husband/3 kids/in-laws) and they all loved it. I may or may not have caught my husband licking the empty dish..... which NEVER happens!!" - Melissa
Contains: Dairy / Gluten / Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
a large but shallow baking dish
a sharp knife
a chopping board
the simmering basket
a cutter to cut shapes (optional)
- chicken breast - 1 kg, diced into small 1cm x 1cm pieces
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- leek - 1, white part only, washed and sliced
- onion - 1, peeled, halved and sliced into half rings
- oil - 1 Tbsp
- plain flour - 50g
- butter - 40g
- milk - 200g
- cream - 300g
- chicken stock - 1 cube, or 1 tsp stock paste, see notes below
- fresh thyme - 1.5 Tbsp, leaves, see notes below
- mustard powder - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, ground
- puff pastry - 1 sheet, if you are a subscriber, don't forget to check out the Easter bonus issue for a homemade puff pastry recipe.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place the small cubes of diced chicken into the base of a shallow large baking dish. The size of the cubes is to ensure it cooks through.
- Place garlic (1 clove) into the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 5 seconds.
- Place sliced leek (1), onion pieces (1) and oil (1 Tbsp) to bowl. Program 5 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add flour (50g), butter (40g), milk (200g), cream (300g), stock paste (1 tsp), thyme (1.5 tsp), mustard powder (1/2 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) to bowl. Place simmering basket on top of the lid to prevent splatters.
- Program 9 minutes / 90C / Speed 4. Taste sauce and add a pinch of salt if required.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and mix to combine well.
- Place the sheet of pastry on top of the dish. Using a fork press down the edges to secure the pastry to the dish. Keep some excess on the sides of the dish as the pastry will shrink slightly during the cooking process. If you have any excess pastry, cut shapes out of it and place on the top of the pie.
- Place into the oven and bake until the pastry is golden brown and crispy and your chicken filling is cooked through, approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve with salad or steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
- If you prefer a chunkier leek and onion mix simply remove from the bowl after Step 5 and add to the chicken before commencing Step 6.
- You can use any fresh fragrant herb in place of Thyme. Tarragon works well.
- When cooking stock paste we use half the recommended salt. Chicken stock paste is recommended for great flavour but vegetable stock paste can be used in its place.