Chicken and Broccoli Gougere
This recipe has been shared with us by Sally Thomas.
"My children love this meal. I usually make double in the hope that there may be leftovers the next day to eat cold. Equally delicious!" - Sally
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It was good! Like a comfort food that I've never had before. I couldn't believe so many flavours came from so few ingredients." - Stacey
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 30-40 minutes
Can be frozen
- water - 500g, boiling
- cooked meat - 250g, chicken, sliced
- broccoli - 250g, florets, fresh or frozen
- water - 240g
- butter - 60g, plus extra for greasing
- plain flour - 150g
- eggs - 2
- milk - 300g
- plain flour - 50g, or cornflour
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- butter - 30g
- cheese - 125g, cubed or grated
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Grease a 25cm tart plate or ovenproof dish.
- Add the boiling water (500g) to the bowl. Place the chicken slices (250g) and broccoli florets (250g) in the steaming attachment upper tray. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1. (see Note)
- Check that the chicken and broccoli are cooked through. Set aside. Empty the bowl of water.
- Add the water (240g) and butter (60g) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add the plain flour (150g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds. Allow to cool slightly.
- Turn the mixer on to Speed 3 / 30 seconds. Add the eggs (2) one at a time through the hole in the lid.
- Spoon this choux pastry mixture into the prepared dish. Spread it evenly across the bottom and sides to create a pie shell.
- Add the milk (300g), plain flour (50g), salt (1/2 tsp) and butter (30g) to the bowl. Program 7 minutes / 90C / Speed 4. In the last 30 seconds, add the cheese (125g). This mixture will be thicker than usual white sauce.
- Add the reserved cooked chicken and broccoli to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 30 seconds.
- Using your spatula, spoon the mixture into your pastry shell.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a seasonal salad or hot baked potatoes.
- Enjoy!Note: You can skip the chicken preparation steps by using leftover cooked chicken and steaming the broccoli in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.