Chicken à la King
This awesome retro dish has been shared with us by Nikalene Riddle from Skinnymixers. It is quick, easy, yummy, inexpensive and can be reinvented into so many different dishes. You can turn it into a pot pie, top it with mash for a shepherd's pie, reduce the sauce down and use it in normal pies… are you getting the pie theme here? You can also bulk it up with rice, pasta or steamed veggies and serve 6 comfortably.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Very easy recipe, great for a weeknight dinner. The family gave it an 11 out of 10!" - Vicki
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 16 minutes
Can be frozen
- cashew nuts - 50g, raw (*omit for NF)
- fresh parsley - small handful
- fresh thyme - 3 sprigs, leaves only (*or 1/4 tsp dried thyme)
- onion - 1, brown, small, peeled and quartered
- olive oil - 20g
- mushrooms - 200g, fresh, preferably portobello, thickly sliced
- chicken stock - 200g, liquid (see Notes)
- chicken thigh - 600g, or breast, cubed
- coconut cream - 300g, or dairy cream if preferred
- capsicum - 200g, cut into strips
- Add cashew nuts (50g) to mixer bowl. Mill for Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Set aside. See Notes for nut free option.
- Without washing the bowl, add parsley (small handful) and thyme leaves (from 3 sprigs) to mixer bowl. Chop for Speed 9 / 3 seconds. Set aside with the cashew meal.
- Without washing the bowl, add onion (1) to mixer bowl. Chop for Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g). Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Add mushrooms (200g) and chicken stock (200g). Program 3 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add chicken (600g) and coconut cream (300g). Program 5 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add the capsicum (200g) and the reserved cashew and parsley mixture. Program 3 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off or until cooked, measuring cap off.
- In lieu of chicken stock you can use 200g water with 1 Tbsp of chicken stock concentrate.
- If you would like to make this nut free, skip the milling step and mix 2 heaped Tbsp of corn flour or tapioca flour with water and add with the chicken.