Cheesy Stuffed Vegetables
These yummy stuffed vegetables will become a family favourite in no time. They have been shared with us by Bec Allum from Thermobexta, from her book Summer Meal Mix Up. They are such a flavoursome way to get your daily dose of Vitamin Veggie. Make this extra thrifty by getting the fresh produce from your local farmer's market and buying your cheese, sun dried tomatoes and olives in bulk so you can just use a little as you need them.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A lovely vegetable side dish which would go well with lots of other dinner options. A tasty flavour with little effort." - Kristen
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Serves 6 as a side
Cannot be frozen
- tomatoes - 6-8, large, weighing approx. 200g each OR 3 large zucchinis, weighing approx. 500g each
- cheddar cheese - 60g, diced into 1.5cm cubes
- Parmesan cheese - 50g, diced into 1.5cm cubes
- fresh basil - 10g leaves
- zucchini - 100g, roughly chopped
- capsicum - 100g, red, roughly chopped
- onion - 80g, red, peeled and roughly chopped
- mushrooms - 60g
- tamari - 10g
- pepper - large pinch
- garlic cloves - 5, peeled
- water - 1.1L
- salt - 1 tsp
- quinoa - 100g, rinsed thoroughly in a fine sieve (or 80g basmati rice, rinsed)
- semi dried tomatoes - 50g, finely diced
- olives - 50g, kalamata, pitted and quartered
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a large tray with baking paper.
- If stuffing tomatoes (6-8), slice the tops off then use a spoon to scoop out core and seeds from each. If stuffing zucchinis (3 only), halve each lengthways then use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and some flesh, leaving a 1cm thick border.
- Place the prepared vegetables on the tray. Set aside.
- Place cheddar cheese (60g) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 5 seconds, measuring cap on. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Place Parmesan cheese (50g) and basil (10g) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 10 seconds, measuring cap on. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add zucchini (100g), capsicum (100g), onion (80g), mushrooms (60g), tamari (10g) and pepper (large pinch) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 6 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to the steaming attachment lower dish and upper tray, being sure to leave some gaps for steam to enter.
- Place garlic cloves (5) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add water (1.1L) and salt (1 tsp) to the bowl. Add the quinoa (100g) to the internal steaming basket. Set the basket and steaming attachment in place. Program 16 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3. (If using rice, program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3 instead.)
- Remove basket from bowl and discard water. Add the semi dried tomatoes (50g), olives (50g), Parmesan cheese / basil mixture, steamed vegetables and quinoa to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds, measuring cap on.
- Fill your vegetables with the quinoa mixture. Top with the grated cheddar cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.