Cheesy Risotto with a Twist
This is a dish for the fussy kids. It's macaroni and cheese meets risotto, but there's a twist. First you will make a vegetable puree that perfectly blends into a cheesy sauce–no flecks of green or other telltale veggie signs. Of course you can easily add in some chicken or other veggies you have in the crisper. But if you need something for the fussy child– this is a great option!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Great cheesy recipe to hide veggies in for the kids." -Jodie
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 55 minutes
Can be frozen
- Vegetable puree:
- sweet potato - 100g, peeled and diced small
- pumpkin - 100g, peeled and diced small
- carrots - 100g, peeled and diced small
- water - 500g, hot tap
- onion - 1, small, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- olive oil - 20g
- Arborio rice - 350g
- vegetable stock - 70g, paste
- water - 930g
- turmeric - 1/2 tsp, ground
- salt - 1 tsp, plus extra
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, plus extra
- Parmesan cheese - 1/2 tsp, grated, plus extra to garnish
- If you need to grate your Parmesan cheese, add the cubed cheese (180g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the sweet potato (100g), pumpkin (100g) and carrots (100g) to the internal steaming basket. Pour hot tap water over the top (500g). Program 25 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Carefully transfer the internal steaming basket out of the bowl with a spatula. Pour any remaining cooking water into a jug as we will use this to thin the vegetable puree.
- Transfer the cooked veggies into the bowl. Mix on Speed 9 whilst drizzling a little of the reserved water through the lid to form a thick puree. Pour into a bowl and set aside for later.
- To the clean, dry bowl, add onion (1) and garlic cloves (2). Chop Speed 7 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Set the whisk attachment in place.
- Add rice (350g) to bowl. Program 2 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add the stock paste (70g), water (930g) and turmeric (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 17 minutes/ 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- Add the vegetable puree, salt (1 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp) and Parmesan cheese (180g) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 8 seconds to combine.
- Check for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if required.
- Pour risotto into an insulated server and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
- Spoon risotto into a bowl. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.