Cheesy Flax Crackers
These yummy crackers are both kid and dietary-intolerance friendly. They have been shared with us by Paula from Nourish Me Natural. You can play around with the grains used, and the flavours, until you find your perfect flavour combo... and still know that the steps along the way will be delicious! Kids will love to create them in a multitude of different shapes. It makes perfect sense to make your own nutritious and tasty additive-free crackers with ingredients you can trust!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These are really tasty savoury biscuits. They are super easy to make, and you can make different flavours too! They remind me of the popular brand of shaped cheddar biscuit...except gluten free and healthier!" - Claire
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 12-15 minutes
Makes depends on the shape and size of your crackers
- flaxseeds - 100g, golden (or linseeds)
- buckwheat kernels - 100g, or oat groats, or spelt grains, or a combination (*choose buckwheat for GF)
- Parmesan cheese - 70g, or vintage cheese (*use 1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes for DF)
- spring onions - 3, sliced into 5cm pieces, or 20g brown onion
- garlic clove - 1
- butter - 20g, unsalted, cold, or solid coconut oil
- sea salt - 1/4 tsp
- baking powder - 1/4 tsp
- honey - 1 tsp, raw, optional
- milk of choice - 70g, or filtered water
- egg white - 1, to brush (*omit for EF)
- poppy seeds - to springkle, or sesame seeds
- Optional additions:
- peppercorns - 1/4 tsp
- fresh herbs of choice - to taste
- dried herbs of choice - to taste
- Preheat oven to 165C.
- Add peppercorns (1/4 tsp, if using), flaxseeds (100g) and grains (100g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 9. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add cheese to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 5-8 seconds. Set aside with the wholegrain.
- Add spring onions (3), fresh herbs (if using) and garlic clove (1) to bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5-10 seconds.
- Add butter (20g), salt (1/4 tsp), baking powder (1/4 tsp), honey (1 tsp), flours and cheese to the bowl with dried herbs of choice (if using). Mix Speed 6 / 5 seconds.
- Add milk or water (70g). Program Closed Lid / 1 minute / Kneading Function. You should find a soft and moist dough. Add more flour here if the dough is too sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a silicone mat or a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly to shape into a smooth ball. Roll out to 2mm thickness. Cut into desired shape using knife or roller cutter.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until light brown and firm.
- Rest on the oven tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Keep in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
Allow crackers to cool completely, and then transport in a sealed airtight container.