This crowd pleasing savoury snack is perfect for a picnic and has been shared with us by Alyce Alexandra from her book Quick Fix: Every Occasion. It has been enjoyed in The 4 Blades kitchen many times! It uses Tabasco® sauce which is made from fully aged red peppers, salt and distilled vinegar. It adds spice without overpowering other flavours. The eight drops included produces a mild flavour, great for children. For a bit of bite, try doubling the amount.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I took this to a family dinner and served them with rice crackers. They were devoured. My brother-in-law ate them in preference to the store bought cheese and dip which was a great sign of a winner recipe!" - Sarah
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Setting Time minimum 2 hours
Makes 28 small balls (individual serves), or 3-4 large balls
Best kept refrigerated until serving
- fresh parsley - 4 handfuls
- cheddar cheese - 250g, or tasty cheese, roughly chopped
- spring onions - 2, ends trimmed
- carrot - 1, peeled and quartered
- cream cheese - 250g, roughly chopped
- gherkins - 250g, relish
- paprika - 1 tsp, sweet
- crackers - to serve (or vegetable crudités, or apple slices)
- paprika - optional (or finely chopped macadamia nuts)
- Add parsley (4 handfuls) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Set aside on large plate.
- Without cleaning, add cheddar cheese (250g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Set aside in a bowl.
- Without cleaning, add spring onions (2) and carrot (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 6 seconds.
- Add cream cheese (250g), gherkin relish (20g), Tabasco (8 drops), paprika (1 tsp) and grated cheese to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Mix again on Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Remove from the bowl with a spatula.
- Using wet hands, shape cheese mixture into small balls or one large ball.
- Roll in chopped parsley and coat evenly. Can also roll in sweet paprika or finely chopped macadamia nuts for variation.
- Wrap each ball in cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with crackers, vegetable crudités or apple slices.
Transport your cheese balls once they are thoroughly chilled. Keep them wrapped in cling film and transport them in an airtight container with an icepack.