After coming across this no-fail mayonnaise recipe from Sarah at Homemade, Healthy, Happy we have never looked back. It allows you to choose the oil you use, and skip the added sugar and thickeners you will find in store bought mayo. It is quick, easy and tastes great every time. We encourage you to give it a go. It will go perfectly with this month's Curried Egg Sandwiches.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is a really easy recipe. Making my own mayonnaise was daunting but it really was very quick and easy. I used it in the egg sandwiches and it worked really well. Wouldn't have known it wasn't from the shop." - Julia
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Serves 1 cup of mayonnaise
Cannot be frozen
- macadamia oil - 250g, can use grapeseed or rice bran for NF)
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- egg - 1
- sea salt - pinch
- apple cider vinegar - 20g
- mustard - 1 tsp, Dijon
- Sit the measuring jug on the lid of your mixer and weigh oil (250g) into the jug. Set aside.
- Put garlic clove (1) in the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Insert whisk attachment. Add the egg (1), salt (pinch), apple cider vinegar (20g) and mustard (1 tsp). Program 2 minutes / 37C / Speed 4. The time it takes to reach 37C will vary based on how cold your ingredients were to begin with. You don’t have to wait the full 2 minutes - stop whenever the 37C light stops flashing and becomes constantly lit.
- If you stopped early in step 2, be sure to zero the timer (press + and – at the same time), and press the power button (just press, don’t hold down) to turn the temperature setting off.
- Set the timer for 4 minutes.
- With the whisk attachment still in place, turn the blades on to Speed 4. With the blades running and the measuring cap in place, begin to slowly pour the oil onto the lid. Try to pour at a relatively steady pace (don’t stress too much though, the measuring cap will compensate for any over-enthusiasm with the oil), and take almost the full 4 minutes to add in the oil. Let the blades run for another 10-15 seconds after all the oil has gone in.
- Using your spatula, move any garlic that is on the base of your mixer. Blend again Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Transfer to your sterilised bottle and store in the refrigerator.