Chai-Spiced Hot Chocolate
For those in the know, the word ‘Chai’ actually means ‘tea’. This hot chocolate is not made with tea, but is made with the spices commonly used when making the spiced brew commonly referred to as ‘Chai’ in the western world. The end result is a deliciously thick and creamy hot chocolate with beautiful spicy notes.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Total Preparation Time 12 minutes
Best served fresh
- cashew nuts - 75g, (*you can use a non-nut milk in lieu of cashews+water. Add 500-700g of your preferred milk to Step 3)
- water - 500g, up to 700g if you prefer a thinner consistency
- cinnamon - 1 stick
- star anise - 1 whole
- ginger - 1/4 tsp, ground
- cloves - 2 whole
- cacao powder - 15g
- honey - 30g
- Add cashews (75g) to the bowl. Grind Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- Add water (500g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 10.
- Add cinnamon stick (1), star anise (1), ginger (1/4 tsp), cloves (2), cacao (15g) and honey (30g). Blend Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Brew by programming 10 minutes / 90C / Speed 2.
- To serve, take off the lid and sit the simmering basket in the bowl. Hold the simmering basket in place when pouring so that the hot chocolate is served while simultaneously straining the whole spices.