Chai Donut Muffins
A sweet spiced muffin that we think anyone will love... especially those who LOVE warm cinnamon donuts. These delectable little muffins are just like a donut, minus the deep frying and with the addition of a few extra spices!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Spicy little muffins that remind me of Christmas!" - Jenny
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 14-18 minutes
Serves 12-16 muffins
Can be frozen
You will need:
1-2 muffin tins
wire cooling rack
- Chai muffins:
- eggs - 4, large
- coconut oil - 140g, olive oil or softened butter (*use oil for DF)
- vanilla bean paste - 2 tsp
- self raising flour - 250g (*can use GF)
- baking powder - 1 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- sugar - 100g
- cinnamon - 2.5 tsp, ground
- ginger - 1 tsp, ground
- nutmeg - 1.5 tsp, ground
- cardamom - 1/4 tsp, ground
- cloves - 1/4 tsp, ground
- pepper - pinch, ground, black
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon sugar topping:
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- caster sugar - 40g
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Add the eggs (4), coconut oil (140g), vanilla bean paste (2 tsp), self raising flour (250g), baking powder (1 tsp), sugar (100g), ground cinnamon (2.5 tsp), ground ginger (1 tsp), ground nutmeg (1.5 tsp), ground cardamom (1/4 tsp), ground cloves (1/4 tsp), ground black pepper (pinch) and salt (1/4 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 6-8 seconds. You will need to use your spatula to aid the mixing process. Be sure not to overmix the batter.
- Spoon 1 heaped Tbsp of cake batter into each paper case.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground cinnamon (1 tsp) and caster sugar (40g). If you need to make your own caster sugar, add raw or white sugar (40g) to the bowl with ground cinnamon (1 tsp). Combine Speed 9 / 3 seconds.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar mix over the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.