A pilaf (or pilav as it is known in Turkish) is traditionally a rice dish cooked in broth. Well, we’ve made a veggie-packed not-so-traditional version of it by using cauliflower ‘rice’ and steaming it with vegetable stock. It’s a perfect side dish and can be served hot or cold.
This recipe was featured in Episode 40 of the podcast. It makes for a yummy side dish (we have had it with salmon and with a spicy lamb shank curry), but is also a good option for a light vegetarian meal.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Total Preparation Time Approx 25 minutes
Serves 4-6 as a side dish
Can be frozen
- pistachios - 40g, shelled
- almonds - 100g, blanched (or pine nuts, or a mixture)
- cauliflower - 400g, in florets
- vegetable stock - 1 Tbsp, concentrate paste
- water - 500g
- celery - 200g, stalks, roughly chopped
- shallots - 20g
- walnuts - 30g (or pecans)
- raisins - 75g
- currants - 75g
- Put the pistachios (40g) and the almonds (60g) on a tray in a cold oven. Set to 200 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Put the cauliflower florets (400g) in the bowl. Reverse+Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Put the cauliflower kernels in the rice basket and dollop stock paste on top of the kernels (1 Tbsp).
- Pour water (500g) into the bowl through the cauliflower and stock.
- Set 10 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- When the oven timer goes off, turn off the temperature. Remove the nuts from the oven when you can smell them.
- When the cauliflower is finished, remove the internal steaming basket and set aside to drain.
- Drain the bowl.
- Put celery (200g), shallots (20g) and walnuts (30g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 5-6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add cauliflower, nuts, raisins (75g) and currants (70g). Combine Reverse+Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Scrape down the sides.
- Pour into a serving bowl and mix further with spatula if required.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve cold.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.