Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
This kid-friendly recipe has been contributed by Robyn from Mrs D plus 3. As her blog name suggests, Robyn is the Mum of 3 kids and knows all too well the challenges that can take place at the dining table, especially about vegetables. This dish has lots of vegetables, and tastes fantastic. Get your kids into the kitchen and have them help you make it so that they can be part of the process. Aside from the vegetables, it uses lots of ingredients that you can keep in your fridge / pantry so that you can make it again and again.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Delicious, tasty and loved by everyone in our house. I'll definitely be making this again." - Julie
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Best served fresh, or reheated from the refrigerator
- bread - 1 slice (*can use GF)
- water - 900g
- broccoli - 250g, in bite size pieces
- cauliflower - 300g, in bite size pieces
- pasta - 300g, macaroni (*can use GF)
- bacon - 8 slices
- parmesan cheese - 60g
- milk - 500g
- plain flour - 50g (*can use GF)
- salt - large pinch
- paprika - large pinch
- butter - 50g
- cheddar cheese - 70g, in small chunks
- mustard - 1 tsp
- Put the slice of bread into the freezer.
- Measure the water (900g) into the bowl and set the steaming attachment in place.
- Add the broccoli (250g) and cauliflower (300g) pieces into the lower dish of the steaming attachment. Program 16 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- While the veggies are steaming, cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet. Drain under cold water once it’s cooked.
- Fry up the bacon (8) in its own fat until it is nice and crispy. Roughly chop it into chunks.
- Once the veggies are finished, rinse them under cold water before adding them plus the bacon and pasta to an oven proof dish.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add parmesan cheese (30g only) and add the bread from the freezer to the bowl and chop for Speed 7 / 10 seconds. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- To your mixer bowl, add the milk (500g), flour (50g), salt (pinch), paprika (pinch) and butter (50g). Cook 7 minutes / 90 C / Speed 4.
- Add the cheddar (70g), parmesan (30g) and mustard (1 tsp). Mix Speed 7 / 15 seconds.
- Program 1 minute / 90C / Speed 3.
- Tip the sauce all over the veggies, bacon and pasta and mix well.
- Add the breadcrumbs and cheese mix to the top and pop it in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the top starts to turn a golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.