Cauliflower ‘Fried Rice’
A veggie-full alternative to traditional fried rice, this cauliflower-based rice is packed full of flavour and colour. It can be served vegetarian, or with the addition of some cooked meat. Feel free to be creative with the vegetables you use so that you can use up any vegetables before they expire!
This recipe was featured in Episode 61 of the podcast – Healthy New Year!
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Egg
Total Preparation Time 40 minutes
Best served fresh, or refrigerated for a couple of days
- cauliflower - 600g, florets only
- eggs - 6
- water - 500g
- capsicum - 75g
- zucchini - 90g
- carrot - 65g
- onion - 1
- ginger - 10g, fresh
- garlic cloves - 2
- chilli - 1 (optional - to taste)
- oil - 20g
- peas - 100g, frozen
- cooked meat - 120g (optional)
- tamari - 45g, or soy sauce or coconut aminos sauce
- shallot - 1 (sliced on a diagonal)
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Add cauliflower florets (600g) to the bowl. Reverse+Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Put cauliflower kernels into the internal steaming basket. Set aside. Rinse bowl.
- Crack eggs (6) into the bowl with some salt and pepper to preferred taste. Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Tear off a piece of baking paper the width of the steaming attachment upper tray. Wet it, scrunch it and use it to cover the tray.
- Pour the egg mixture over the baking paper. Put the lid on. Clean bowl.
- Fill bowl with hot water (500g). Put basket of cauliflower 'rice' and the steaming attachment in place. Program 12 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Remove basket and pour cauliflower rice into a bowl, fluff up with spatula. Leave to cool slightly.
- Using the spatula, remove the omelette from the paper and have it sitting upside down on the steaming attachment upper tray. Put the lid back on.
- Program 3 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Check that omelette is cooked through. Sett aside and dice into bite sized cubes.
- Clean bowl, ready for the next step.
- Add capsicum (75g), zucchini (90g) and carrot (65g) to the bowl. Speed 5-6 / 2 seconds. Set aside.
- Add onion (1), ginger (10g), garlic (2) and chilli (if using) to the bowl. Speed 5-6 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g). Set 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- With 2 minutes remaining on the clock, add peas (100g), chopped cooked meat (if using) and veggie mix.
- Add cauliflower rice and tamari sauce (45g) to the bowl. 1 minute / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 3, assisting to mix with spatula.
- Put 'fried rice' into a serving bowl and stir the diced egg and sliced shallots through.