Caribbean Inspired Chicken Wings
If you love chicken wings, you are going to love this Caribbean inspired version. These are delicious served hot or cold, and they make for a great meal for picnics. Be sure to pack extra napkins!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is an awesome BBQ dish that is cheap and easy to prepare in advance when there are people coming. Serve with a crunchy slaw or delicious veggie packed fried rice." - Tracey
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Can be frozen
- chicken wings - 1kg, separated into wingettes & drummettes (discard wing tips)
- water - 500g, hot, tap
- chilli - 1, mild, red, deseeded and chopped
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- honey - 50g
- soy sauce - 50g, (*ensure GF if required)
- orange juice - 50g
- lime juice - 30g, fresh
- allspice - 2 tsp
- dried fennel - 2 tsp, seeds
- ginger - 1 tsp, ground
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked black
- cayenne pepper - 1 tsp
- Add the chopped chilli (1), peeled garlic cloves (4), honey (50g), soy sauce (50g), orange juice (50g), lime juice (30g), allspice (2 tsp), fennel seeds (2 tsp), ground ginger (1 tsp), pepper (1 tsp) and cayenne pepper (1 tsp) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 20 seconds.
- Coat the chicken wingettes and drummettes (1kg) in the marinade and transfer to a container with a lid for marinating.
- Leave to marinate for at least 1 hour, but up to overnight – this will help to develop the flavours.
- Fill the bowl with hot tap water (500g) and set the steaming attachment into place. Arrange the marinated chicken in the steaming attachment lower dish and upper tray. Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- After steaming the chicken, use tongs to transfer the chicken pieces to the prepared tray.
- Bake for 12 minutes on each side before removing from the oven. Alternative options are to cook under the grill or in an air fryer.
- Serve warm or take cold to your next picnic.