Carbonara with Mushroom & Spinach
This scrumptious recipe has been shared by Karla from My LaLa Life.
"There is something so comforting about pasta, especially the creamy carbonara varieties. This would have to be one of my favourite savoury meals and, dare I say, one of the first restaurant meals that inspired me to recreate at home. The beauty with my version is that it is a lot lighter and less oily than the restaurant version but doesn't compromise on taste." - Karla
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is a light and flavourful dish, thoroughly enjoyed by all members of the family - even though we don't usually eat mushrooms!" - Tracey
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Total Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- dried spaghetti - 500g (*can use GF pasta)
- spinach - 60g
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onion - 1/2, brown, peeled and roughly chopped
- fresh parsley - 4-6 sprigs, leaves only
- butter - 30g
- vegetable stock - 1 Tbsp, paste
- ham - 200g, diced or bacon
- evaporated milk - 375g tin
- mushrooms - 400g, sliced, Swiss brown
- Cook pasta (500g) on the stove top as per packet instructions.
- Place spinach into an insulated server and set aside.
- Add Parmesan (50g) to bowl. Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add garlic (2), onion (1/2) and parsley leaves (4-6) into bowl. Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add butter (30g), vegetable stock paste (1 Tbsp) and ham (200g) to bowl. 6 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed. Scrape down sides.
- Add milk (375g), grated Parmesan (20g only) and mushrooms (400g) into bowl. 7 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- When cooked, pour sauce into the insulated server over the spinach. Gently mix together and place the lid on and set aside. The sauce may appear thin but will thicken and cling to the pasta.
- Once pasta has cooked, strain and stir through the sauce in the insulated server. Serve while hot, topped with the extra Parmesan.