Caramelised Red Onion, Cheese and Rocket Tart
What a delicious lunch or dinner option to place onto the table when guests arrive! The smell throughout the house will have everyone's mouths watering. Serve with a side salad for a complete meal.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Beautiful tart with lovely aromas of parsley, warm oozy Camembert and crisp salty prosciutto in the filling. Great for a picnic or day at the races with a glass of bubbles." - Fiona
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 50 minutes
Cooking Time 30-40 minutes
Can be frozen
- milk - for brushing
- rocket - 60g, leaves
- plain flour - 450g
- baking powder - 2 tsp
- salt - 1.5 tsp
- butter - 120g
- eggs - 2, separated into yolk and white
- water - 120g
- onion - 400g, red, peeled and thinly sliced
- balsamic vinegar - 30g
- olive oil - 15g
- eggs - 2
- sour cream - 100g
- fresh parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked, black
- salt - 1 tsp
- Camembert cheese - 200g, diced
- prosciutto - 4 slices, quartered
- Alternate serving suggestions:
- salad of choice
- Add the plain flour (450g), baking powder (2 tsp), salt (1.5 tsp), butter (120g) and egg yolks only (2) in the bowl. Keep the egg whites (2) in a separate bowl until later. Program 2 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- While kneading, add the water (120g) in a thin stream until the mixture resembles a rough dough. Remove from the bowl and form into a ball.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced onions (400g), balsamic vinegar (15g only) and olive oil (15g). Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap on.
- Remove any onions from around the blades, and wipe the spatula over the base of the bowl to loosen up any reduced balsamic. Add the remaining balsamic vinegar (15g) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap and place on a floured surface. Roll out into a circular shape of about 1cm thickness.
- Place onto the prepared tray. Don't worry if this hangs over the edge as we will fold the sides up shortly.
- Add the eggs (2), sour cream (100g), chopped fresh parsley (2 Tbsp), pepper (1 tsp) and salt (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 6 seconds.
- Spread the mixture onto the centre of the pastry leaving a 3cm border.
- Top with the cooked onions, diced Camembert cheese (200g) and quartered prosciutto slices (4).
- Fold the edges in towards the centre to help form a shell.
- Brush the pastry edges with the reserved egg whites (2).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, top the centre with rocket leaves (60g) and slice. Serve hot.