Caramelised Onion and Beef Meatballs
These meatballs are the perfect match for a large family. They are great to make and eat, and they're equally great to freeze to have on hand whenever you need them! Serve them with spaghetti or rice, or create your own Italian sub sandwich.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Very very tasty little numbers!" - Gail
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 45-50 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
2 baking trays
- onion - 500g, brown, peeled and thinly sliced
- balsamic vinegar - 30g
- olive oil - 15g
- fresh thyme - 2 Tbsp, leaves
- beef mince - 1.5kg
- tomato paste - 50g
- fresh parsley - 1/4 bunch, leaves only, chopped
- salt - 1 tsp
- Serving suggestions:
- pasta - spaghetti, to serve
- rice - to serve
- Add the peeled and sliced onions (500g), balsamic vinegar (15g only) and olive oil (15g) to the bowl. Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap on.
- Remove any onion from around the blades and wipe the spatula over the base of the bowl to loosen up any reduced balsamic.
- Add the remaining balsamic vinegar (15g) and fresh thyme leaves (2 Tbsp) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Add the beef mince (1.5kg), tomato paste (50g), chopped parsley leaves (from 1/4 bunch) and salt (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix on Speed 8 until well combined.
- Move the mixture from the bowl onto a plate.
- Roll into 50 small bite-size meatballs. Place onto the baking trays.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and browned.
Make your own!
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.