Caramel Mud Cake
Can you believe that a mud cake could be made with sweet potatoes? With the use of coconut flour this is a very dense grainfree cake that is perfect for those with dietary intolerances. It has been created by Bianca from Wholefood Simply. You can serve this like a traditional cake, with icing, or you can serve it warm (drizzled with the frosting or with coconut cream). We have tried it both ways and warm was our favourite - it had a lovely pudding-like texture!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This was worth doing! The frosting was delicious. The combination of the cake with the frosting had a lovely flavour." - Marie
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 40 minutes
Cooking Time 45-55 minutes
Can be frozen
- sweet potato - 550g, peeled and cubed (*or 500g if using pre-steamed sweet potato)
- dates - 12, medjool, pits removed
- tahini paste - 50g, hulled
- vanilla - 1 stp
- coconut flour - 65g
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- eggs - 3
- salt - pinch
- Caramel Frosting:
- tahini paste - 65g, hulled
- honey - 65g
- coconut oil - 65g
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- Add sweet potato (550g) to the lower dish of the steaming attachment.
- Fill the bowl with water (800g).
- Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed
- Add the steamed sweet potato flesh (500g) and dates (12) to the bowl.
- Blend Speed 6 / 30 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Blend Speed 5 / 15 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Blend again Speed 5 / 15 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add tahini (50g), vanilla (1 tsp), coconut flour (65g), baking powder (1 tsp), eggs (3) and pinch of salt to bowl.
- Combine Speed 6 / 15 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Continue mixing Speed 6 / 10 seconds.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden and an inserted skewer comes out cleanly. Allow the cake to cool slightly before removing from the cake tin and placing the cake onto a cooling rack. Cool the cake completely prior to icing.
- Add tahini (65g), honey (65g), coconut oil (65g) and vanilla (1 tsp) to bowl.
- Combine Speed 5 / 15 seconds.
- Pour the mixture directly over the cooled cake for a runny icing or refrigerate the mixture and allow it to set slightly for a thicker frosting consistency