Caramel Apple Smoothie
This is not your ordinary smoothie. The caramel sauce takes the humble apple to another level, and by the way, you can use this sauce for other treats too! It makes an amazing topping for ice cream! This is such a great recipe to make when you feel like indulging but want a healthier option. We have tested using almond milk and soy milk, but you can use what best suits your family. If you wish to use dried dates, simply soak in boiling water for 30 minutes first.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "So yummy. Creamy and delicious. A nice mix of sweet and tart flavours." - Tamara
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Total Preparation Time 8 minutes for the sauce, 5 minutes for the smoothie
Makes approx. 1 cup of caramel sauce and 3-4 smoothies
Can be frozen
- Caramel sauce:
- dates - 120g, medjool, pitted and halved
- water - 100g, from a recently boiled kettle
- milk of choice - 50g
- maple syrup - 25g
- almond butter - 50g, (*use seed butter or tahini for NF)
- vanilla - 2 tsp, pure, extract
- Apple smoothie:
- apple - 400g, raw, cored, chopped into pieces (we used Pink Lady)
- lemon - 10g, flesh
- ice cubes - 100g
- milk of choice - 250g
- cinnamon - 1/4 tsp, ground
- maple syrup - 10g, pure
- vanilla - 1 tsp, pure, extract
- banana - 1/2, frozen, (approx. 75-100g), chopped into pieces
- Add the dates (120g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 9 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add water (100g) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 1. Scrape down sides.
- Let stand for 3 minutes.
- Add milk (50g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds.
- Add the maple syrup (25g), almond butter (50g) and vanilla (2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 4 / 30 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to 7 days.
- Add the apple (400g), lemon flesh (10g) and ice (100g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 10 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the milk (120g only) to the bowl. Blend Speed 7 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the remaining milk (130g), cinnamon (1/4 tsp), maple syrup (10g), vanilla (1 tsp) and banana (1/2) to the bowl. Blend 1 minute / Speed 10.
- Drizzle some of the caramel sauce all around the inside of your glasses. You can use a spoon or squeeze bottle to make this easier.
- Pour in the smoothie and drizzle with extra caramel sauce.
- Serve immediately.