We have been asked so many times about making caramelised onions in the thermo mixer! These are a beautiful balsamic version which are a perfect side to any hot breakfast. We served them with our Egg & Bacon Crêpe Cups - you must give them a go!
We think that caramelised onions are a great way to add a bit of ‘fancy’ to a recipe. Traditionally we have always done these on the stove, but we really wanted to try making caramelised onions in the Thermomix. So simple. Such minimal ‘everyday’ ingredients. So easy to make ahead of time.
The two big realisations we had were…
- It’s great that the Thermomix puts in the elbow grease stirring, while we were doing other things
- It does take longer to get the caramelised onions to have the nice texture that we all want – but it totally gets there, and with minimal involvement!
This recipe was featured in Episode 144 of the podcast, as an addition to a roast veggie quiche.
No: Gluten /Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Makes approximately 1 cup of caramelised onions
Can be frozen
- oil - 1 Tbsp
- onions - 500g, brown, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- balsamic vinegar - 1/2 Tbsp, (tested with a maple balsamic vinegar)
- Place oil (1 Tbsp) and onions (500g) into bowl.
- Set 30 minutes / 110C* / Reverse + Speed 2.
- Add brown sugar (1 Tbsp) and balsamic (1/2 Tbsp).
- Set 2 minutes / 110C* / Reverse + Speed 2.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.